The Southampton Boat Show Sets Sail and Strikes Gold
16 Sep 2016
The Southampton Boat Show sets sail and strikes gold
The UK’s largest Boat Show opened in style this morning with award winning actress Michelle Keegan and British sailing heroes fresh from Rio 2016
The Southampton Boat Show: (left) Michelle Keegan (right) British Sailing Team
DOWNLOAD IMAGES HERE
The Southampton Boat Show kicked off this morning with special guests, Michelle Keegan and the British Sailing Team in attendance. Running from today until Sunday 25 September, the Show will showcase the very best that the international boating world has to offer. With hundreds of boats on display, including 330 on the stunning marina itself, the Southampton Boat Show is a festival of boating fun for all the family.
On the back of her new hit BBC show, Our Girl, multi-award winning actress Michelle Keegan officially opened the Southampton Boat Show 2016. Michelle said “I’m so excited to be a part of this year’s Show. I’ve been fortunate enough to spend time onboard boats around the world, but there’s nothing like seeing all these spectacular boats displayed together in one place here in the UK. It’s an incredible experience.”
The Show also played host to the British Sailing Team, which included Olympic medallists, Giles Scott, Saskia Clark, Hannah Mills and Nick Dempsey. Gold medal winner, Giles Scott said: “The Southampton Boat Show is a highlight on any sailor’s calendar and is a great place to spend time with family and friends. It’s something everyone should experience”. Saskia Clark, Women’s 470 sailing gold medallist, said: “Having an annual event like the Southampton Boat Show that gives the opportunities for people to try out different types of water activities is crucial for the sport of sailing. Who knows, maybe the next generations of Olympic medallists are among us here today?”
Featuring one of Europe’s largest purpose-built marinas, and as one of the world’s top 10 Boat Shows, the event plays host to lots of family-friendly attractions, including:
• Plenty of free on-water experiences, including Try-a-Boat, offering unique opportunities onboard the latest RIBs to luxury yachts, and the Get Afloat! attraction, where 8-16 year olds can try out dinghy sailing and Stand Up Paddleboarding
• The Festival Stage, powered by Datatag & the COMPASS scheme, hosting live music, talks from boating professionals and fashion shows across the 10-day event
• A number of spectacular air displays over the Marina, powered by KUBE, including performances from the Royal Navy Parachute Display Team and renowned British fighter aircraft, the Supermarine Spitfire and Hawker Hurricane
• The magnificent Artemis tall ship, with visitors being able to climb aboard her stunning deck
• Bumper Boats, sponsored by Sunseeker in support of Macmillan Cancer Trust, offering the younger Show visitors the opportunity to master steering
Over the course of the Show, visitors will be able to explore over 130 debuting boats. Among them are the World debuting Hanse 588, Cormate U23 Racing Edition and Greenline Hybrid 36, and the UK launch of the Azimut 55S and Sunseeker Predator 68 MK II.
There’s close to 600 brands exhibiting at the Show this year, with nearly 30 of these making their first appearance, including powerboat manufacturers BIC Aluminium and Alpha-Centauri and sail yacht brands North Carolina (EDPNC) and Nautor’s Swan.
For more information about the Show, the experience packages and to buy tickets, visit: www.southamptonboatshow.com
For further information, or images to accompany this press release, please contact:
Susie Flynn at Speed Communications: email@example.com
, 0207 842 3240
Anna Davies at Speed Communications: firstname.lastname@example.org
, 0207 842 3229
Notes to editors
About the Southampton Boat Show:
• The Southampton Boat Show runs from 16-25 September 2016 in Mayflower Park, Southampton. Opening hours are Friday 16 – Saturday 24, 10am – 6:30pm and Sunday 25, 10am – 6pm; visitors can access the Arena area of the Show from 9:30am with access across the bridge to the Holiday Inn from 10am
• For all Show ticket information please visit www.southamptonboatshow.com
• A fee of £1.95 applies per transaction, not per ticket
• Some of the Show’s attractions are free to visitors; however there will be a charge for some attractions and experiences
• The Southampton Boat Show and the London Boat Show at ExCeL London are organised by British Marine Boat Shows. British Marine Boat Shows is a subsidiary of British Marine, the trade association for the UK boating industry
• All activities can be booked at the Show – see www.southamptonboatshow.com
• The London Boat Show takes place from Friday 6 – Sunday 15 January 2017 at ExCeL London – see www.londonboatshow.com
for more details.
About On The Water:
• On The Water is a British Marine project that aims to help new and potential boaters explore the joys and wealth of benefits that boating offers. Visit www.onthewater.co.uk
for more details.